Last fall, one afternoon as I was heading home from my knitting group, I decided to get off the highway for awhile. There was a back-up and I was in no hurry to get home, so I took an exit with a Route number that looked familiar and kept heading roughly south. How lost could I get, really? On this gorgeous autumn day I passed many runners out on the backroads of the North Shore. And that's when I wondered if that town had an annual 5K race. If it did, I'd sure like to run in it. You know what might be fun - running a 5K race in every town in Massachusetts.
Yes, that right there, is my latest crazy idea. I'm planning to run at least a 5K in every city and town in Massachusetts. There are 351. It's going to take awhile.
I have set up some rules.
1) I get credit for any town I've already run in.*
2) If a race starts in one town and ends in another or even just passes through another, I get credit for both.
3) Races must be official races - I can't just take a jog through and count it.
4) If I cannot find an official race in a town, I get credit if I run in a town that borders it.
* Undecided on what to do about towns on the Marathon route. If I run another one, which I plan to do in 2014, I will count Hopkinton since the start is there. I already have Wellesley, Newton, and Boston through other races. We shall see. If I'm still working on it 20 years from now and I haven't done Ashland? I'll count it.
Since I had the idea I have run in Boston - Tufts Health Plan 10K, Cambridge - also the Tufts Health Plan 10K, Newton - Paddy's Road Race (on my birthday!)
The Turkey 5 on Thanksgiving Day
The Jingle Bell Jaunt - the finisher's medal is a bottle opener.
The 32nd Annual Hangover Classic
One thing I'm sure of, by the end of all this I will have a lot of t-shirts. Quick review, Wellesley - hilly, Somerville - hilly, Salisbury - nice and flat. No, I did not jump in the water in Salisbury. I had an hour drive home, I wasn't doing that wet. But I did finish every race with a cartwheel. Someday I'll get a picture to prove it.