Saturday, May 25, 2013

One More Race, One Less Yarn Store

What's on the menu today?  Running and knitting

Last weekend I ran the "Run for the Woods" in Stow.  Proceeds from the race benefit the Stow Conservation Trust.  It was probably the smallest race I've participated in.  There were at most 500 runners which is probably a generous estimate, I didn't see any race numbers above 400.  It was a bit hotter than I expected and I regretted wearing my running pants, shorts would have been better but at least I didn't opt for a long-sleeved running shirt.  The course was fairly hilly with the worst being the last hill leading up to the finish line.  I knew it was coming because the race starts at the top of the same hill.  I'll admit to not pushing myself very hard but it wasn't my worst effort.  No t-shirt but I did get a finishers' medal. 

In some sad news, Wild 'N Woolly in Lexington is going out of business.  I'm heartbroken.  It's the second of my three favorite yarn stores to close this year.  This comes on top of 2 others in my top 5 to close in the past 2 years.  Of the four closings (all of them due to rising rents/lease expirations), two of the storefronts remain empty.  Landlords, is an empty storefront really better than a yarn store?  I made my last trek to the store yesterday and basically I bought anything I liked.  I didn't "need" any of it, but Wild 'N Woolly has always been the best place to buy Rowan yarn and I'm a sucker for Rowan yarns.  I figured out what to knit out of the 20 skeins of Rowan Scottish Tweed dk Shade 018 Thatch.  I'm going to finally tackle an Alice Starmore sweater - this one http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/st-brigid.  Yes, it's for me! 

No comments: